Visited Salt Spring Island’s oldest church, St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Fulford Harbour, which was founded in 1878 by Father Donckele, the first Roman Catholic missionary to the Gulf islands. This beautiful stone structure was erected between 1880 and 1885 by members of the community with the windows, door and bell acquired from the “Butter Church” in Cowichan Bay. The materials were brought in canoes from Cowichan Bay to Burgoyne Bay, then by oxen to this quiet and peaceful site. Not far from St. Paul’s is the Burgoyne United Church. Built in 1887, this is the oldest Protestant church on Salt Spring Island. It was founded by pioneers, many of whom are buried here. Established as Methodist, the building was called “Union Church” by local people, who welcomed all comers. Since 1974 regular services have been held in Ganges, but the United Church Women continue to maintain the building, where weddings, baptisms and funerals still take place.
Photographed with a Canham 5×7 view camera, Nikkor W 210mm f5.6 lens and Ilford FP4 black and white sheet film.